Cleaning your dentures every day is important for good oral hygiene. If you don’t, plaque and bacteria can form on them leading to oral health problems. We recommend you clean your dentures thoroughly twice a day and after eating when necessary. At The Denture Studio, we recommend the following procedures are followed:
- The general rule to cleaning your dentures is:brush, soak, brush.
- Your dentures are breakable, so always clean your dentures over a bowl of water or a folded towel in case you drop them.
- Brush your dentures thoroughly before soaking, to remove loose food particles. Use cool or warm water. But never use hot water – it can warp your dentures.
- Soak your dentures in a denture cleaner, if required. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Apply a denture cleaning paste to a moistened denture brush or a soft-bristled toothbrush. However, never use conventional toothpaste as this can permanently damage your dentures. Brush all surfaces thoroughly. Avoid using brushes with stiff bristles, as these bristles can damage the denture material.
- Brush your gums, tongue and the roof of your mouth with a soft-bristled regular toothbrush to remove plaque and stimulate circulation. Rinse your dentures, then reinsert them.
- At The Denture Studio we recommend you leave your dentures out at night, as this allows your gums to rest. Whilst you sleep at night, soak your dentures in a cleanser or water. If you use a denture cleanser, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use. However, if you feel more comfortable sleeping with your dentures in, please clean your dentures thoroughly before retiring to bed.
- Please remember that if you use any kind of denture adhesive this needs to be removed daily.
- DO NOT use very hot water or any type of bleaching product to clean your dentures.
- If you notice a build up of stains or scales, then we can clean your dentures professionally for you at The Denture Studio.
» Contact Us - Cleaning Dentures
If you would like more information on cleaning dentures please contact us for more information.